Friday, January 2, 2009

goin' to the dogs

So we're still trying to figure out if we're going to get a dog. I think tomorrow we might go to a local animal/rescue shelter and just see what's there. We each have some criteria---from something as simple as floppy ears (my youngest son's input) to a non-shedder (mine and my husband's). It seems like every kind of dog has something that keeps it from being "the perfect dog." So we'll see.

When our oldest son was young, he wanted a dog so badly but I knew there was no way I could deal with a dog. I had two young deaf sons at the time, I was dealing with the emotional aspect of that, not to mention the everyday stuff--looking for thrown hearing aids, driving long miles every day to the school for the deaf, recovery from surgeries, etc. I wanted so badly to be able to get him a dog, but the thought was overwhelming. I carry the guilt of that still today---is that a mother's portion? I know I can't make it up to him, I know I can't go back and get him the dog he so needed and desired. I guess I just don't want to make the same mistake with my two other sons. And hopefully my oldest will maybe someday understand that I wish I could go back now and give him a boy's best friend.

3 comments: